October 27, 2020
Here I am, can you see me? Can you hear me?
These are the two most important questions that we humans need to answer - are we seen? are we heard?
Our need to connect with another is the existential quest - CONNECTION.
For some of us, connection looks like making a new friend, being validated at work, getting a hug from our child, getting that surprise text from a certain someone, having our cat head butt us for affection. More than ever, in this wildly unprecedented era - we have been stripped of this most important human ingredient - CONNECTION.
What are we to do? It's been three minutes since you sent that text.... it feels like an eternity - and you are writhing with anticipation. There are no more fist bumps at work, yoga chats after the "best class ever", having a "few friends" drop by for coffee.... It's excruciating really and we don't seem to be getting any closer to the much needed ingredient - CONNECTION.
With external connection having been all but stolen from us, there is a radical proposal I have to make - Go inside, my friend. Now is the time for the internal hero's journey. The time to find out who you really are, what you are made of, and one of my favourite knowings, finding out "who you are NOT!"
GO INSIDE MY FRIEND - you will discover a whole new territory of possibility. How to begin the journey inward? I suggest sitting for 5 minutes and doing some 5 by 5 breathing. Lots of five's...
- find a quiet spot and sit yourself down, relaxed and dignified
- set a timer for 5 minutes
- close your eyes if you feel safe to do so
- notice your heart beat, roll back your shoulders, raise your heels and lower them
- inhale through your nose for the count of 5
- hold for the count of 5
- exhale through your nose for the count of 5
- repeat this gentle pattern for 5 minutes, if 5 minutes is too long - no worries, try it for 2, then 3, then you know, maybe 5 minutes.
Open your eyes, smile and know that your first journey inward is complete.
Try 5 minutes of 5x5 every day and you will begin to notice a subtle, beautiful shift - you will feel CONNECTED, with your inner self.